Types of antfarms
The antfarm is the place, where the ants live. It should be made in such a way, that it appeals to the ants, so that they make their nest in it and feel well, and that they can be observed and if possible be pretty.There are several types of antfarms, which can be combined for optimality.
Not all species of ants can be kept in all types of antfarms. Check which type of antfarm is most suitable for the chosen species of ants before you build the antfarm!!!
- Classic antfarm:The most popular antfarm. It is something like a thin box with 2 glas walls. Put a 1:1 mixture of sand and soil in it and put the ants in it. It must be connected with an arena.
- Pros:It is the natural environment of the ants. The construction of tunnels and chambers can be observed.
- Cons:Its construction is difficult. It is difficult to connect it to an arena. Moisturizing difficulties.
- Ytong antfarm:It is made out of a piece of Ytong, in which tunnels and chambers are dug and is covered with a piece of glas*. It must be connected to an arena.
- Pros-Easy and efficient moisturizing. Perfect observation of the ants.
- Cons-Hard to make. Ants cannot choose the shape and size of the tunnels and chambers themselves. Unsuitable for small species of ants.
- Plaster antfarm:Pour plaster on a negative, leave it to dry out and cover it with a piece of glas*. It must be connected to an arena.
- Pros-Easy moisturizing. Perfect observation of the ants. Easy to modify. Can be made in all shapes and sizes.
- Cons-Ants cannot choose the shape and size of the tunnels and chambers themselves. Eroses if moisturized to often. Relatively hard to make.
- Terarium:A half filled with soil aquarium, in which the ants can dig and walk around freely.
- Pros-The most similar to the natural environment of the ants antfarm. Good appearence.
- Cons-Hard and expensive to make. The life in the colony cannot be observed. Hard to moisturize. Takes up too much place.
Wood antfarm:Chisel tunnels and chambers in a piece of cork or other wood and cover it with a glas*. Must be connected with an arena.
- Pros-Suitable for ants-dendrobionts (whose habitat is living or dead wood).
- Cons-Specific for some species of ants.
Mixed type:A mixture of all other types.
- Pros-Ants can choose what they want themselves.
- Cons-It is difficult, expensive and complicated to make and maintain, takes too much place.